MINISTRY OF FOREIGN AFFAIRS AND COOPERATION
NATIONAL AUTHORISING OFFICER (NAO) SERVICES
Avenida de Portugal, Marconi, Dili
Ministry: Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Cooperation
Location: Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Cooperation
Job Title: Second Deputy NAO
Entity: Office of the NAO Services
Reports to: NAO / Minister of Foreign Affairs and Cooperation
The National Authorizing Officer (NAO) is the Entity within the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Cooperation that represents all operations financed by the European Development Fund of the European Union (EDF/EU). The NAO’s organizational chart is managed through two Deputies NAO, that in close collaboration with the EU Delegation (EUD), are responsible for:
* Preparation and submission of programmes and projects, both national and regional (PALOP-TL and Pacific);
* Examination and completion of tenders prior to submission to EUD approval;
* Coordination, monitoring and assessment of projects and programmes funded through the 11th EDF
* Ensuring the proper execution of projects, programmes under the National Indicative Programme (NIP) and all disbursements of EU funding in the country.
* Preparation, implementation and management of NAO’s Programmes Estimates.
The Second Deputy NAO is responsible for managing, monitoring and reporting on progress of all EDF funded projects and programmes in Timor-Leste. The Second Deputy NAO is also responsible for the day-to-day management of the office, to ensure quality assurance on all ongoing project progress and implementation reports and for maintaining an effective and up-to-date management information system within the NAO Services.
The Second Deputy NAO will liaise closely with the First Deputy NAO in all subject matters concerning the efficient management of the NAO Services, such as:
1. Provide high-level support to the NAO on all aspects of EU/EDF programmes and, where necessary, to be able to represent the NAO. As well as guidance to line Ministries, public entities and beneficiaries of the NIP of the 11th EDF.
2. Assist in the coordination of all EU funded programmes, which may include, but is not limited, liaising with all stakeholders, to ensure the efficient implementation and/or formulation of EU funded programmes.
3. Assist in enhancing EU/EDF visibility and better dissemination of EU–TL aid cooperation to all stakeholders and the general public.
4. Monitor consultants’ progress engaged in undertaking technical assignments, including preparation of terms of reference for short term consultancies and/or studies to be conducted in support of projects and programmes,
5. Provide guidance to project officers implementing the NIP under the 11th EDF and other EU programmes;
6. Coordinate Non-State Actors (NSA) that support programmes aimed at reinforcing and promoting activities carried out by NSA’s and CSO’s;
7. Improve coordination and dialogue between the NAO, line ministries, projects and the EU, in particular in programme design, implementation and evaluation, as well as, with regards to sector’s progress reports.
8. Responsible for the effective day-to-day management of the NAO Office;
9. To monitor the delivery of PEs and service contracts against Financing Agreements and project log frames;
10. Submit contracts and programme estimates and addenda to the EUD for endorsement;
11. Supervise the timely presentation of progress reports and other milestone documents as per NAO staff ToR.
1. Full compliance with EDF procedures;
2. No documents passed for signature and/or verification without being thoroughly reviewed and accompanied by necessary supporting documentation;
3. Zero ineligible expenditure upon PE closure;
4. All official documents correctly prepared and signed before submission to EUD for verification and approval;
5. Staff attendance records properly maintained;
6. Office filing and archiving systems (paper and digital) effectively maintained and up-to-date;
7. No disruption to office functionality recorded;
8. No lapses in office security recorded;
9. No health and safety at work issues recorded;
* Master’s degree in a relevant subject (Finance, Economics, Management, Business Administration, or other related discipline); OR
* A Bachelor’s degree with at least 10 years of professional experience in NAO Services and/or in Public Finance Management fields
* Working experience and formal training in EU management procedures is highly desirable and an advantage.
Required Professional Experience
* Excellent leadership, networking and facilitation skills are essential:
* Proven experience in working within the highest level of decision-making members of Government:
* At least 10 years of professional experience working in senior management,
* Professional experience in monitoring and evaluation of development cooperation projects and programmes;
* A high level of analytical skill, as witnessed by the professional record, is essential;
* Proficient knowledge of IT software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) is essential. Experience in computerised accounting systems and procedures is an advantage.
* Fluent in spoken and written Tetum, good knowledge of both English and Portuguese languages
* Good reporting, interpersonal and communication skills and good teamwork qualities.
Other Required Competencies
* Ability to organize and follow procedures and systems.
* Strong motivation and initiative for self-learning about NAO’s technical fields.
* Willingness to work during extra hours, as will be required.
* Willingness to travel abroad to attend specific meeting or training aiming at implementing new procedures
* Ability to work and adjust in a constant changing working environment.
To apply to this position, please email or submit your application letter and an updated Curriculum Vitae which must address the selection criteria (Required qualifications, professional experience and competencies), including three references.
Correspondence may be hand delivered to the office of NAO Services at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Cooperation (MNEC), avenida de Portugal, Marconi, Dili, OR send by E-mail to manuelxim[email protected] before or by date deadline on 10th April 2017.
All application must be addressed to Mrs. Madalena Hanjan Costa Soares, Deputy NAO.
Only successful candidates will be contacted for the interview.
Manuel DC. Ximenes
Admin Officer – Imprest Administrator
National Authorising Officer (NAO) Services
Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Cooperation
Av. de Portugal, Marconi, Dili, Timor-Leste
Ph: + (670) 7728-6293
E-mail: [email protected]