PERSONAL SERVICES CONTRACTOR (PSC) VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT
OPEN TO: All non-US resident candidates with valid MEDICAL credentials / license
POSITION: PEACE CORPS MEDICAL OFFICER (PCMO)
OPENING DATE: Tuesday, 1 August 2017
REVIEW DATE: Tuesday, 15 August 2017 (position remains open until filled) WORK HOURS: 40 hours/week
The United States Peace Corps seeks a Medical Doctor to serve as a contracted Peace Corps Medical Officer (PCMO) based in Dili, Timor-Leste with occasional travel to Peace Corps Volunteer sites, training sites, and international conferences. The PCMO will provide health care to US Peace Corps Volunteers in the country of Timor-Leste and will work under the supervision of the Peace Corps Country Director in Dili and the Peace Corps Office of Health Services in Washington DC.
- Routine primary health care to Peace Corps Trainees and Volunteers including treatment of common illnesses and injuries in accordance with Peace Corps medical guidelines
- Individual short-term counseling on disease prevention, adjustment issues, stress management and cross-cultural problems
- Response to emergency medical situations
- Member of Senior Peace Corps staff in Timor-Leste
- Conducting trainings on health related issues
- Site visits to Peace Corps Volunteers throughout Timor-Leste
- Administrative tasks of the medical office including budget management
- Inventory of medical supplies and equipment
- Alternate 24-hour on-call duty with the other medical staff member, including weekends
- Graduate of accredited school with medical degree:
Medical Doctor and graduate of a school listed in this link, Foundation for Advancement of International Medical Education and Research: http://www.faimer.org/resources/imed.html
- Current license to practice
- Relevant clinical experience in primary care (minimum three years independent practice experience required). Proficiency in the assessment and management of acute and on-going illnesses
- Professional proficiency in oral and written English
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, Outlook
- Must be willing to provide the full range of approved reproductive health options to Volunteers per Peace Corps policy without bias
- Must be able to obtain an American visa
- Fluency in English strongly preferred. Proficiency in Tetun is desired. Proficiency in Bahasa Indonesia and/or Portuguese also helpful.
- Experience in managing mental health issues including counseling of patients
- Experience in training design and presentation of health related material
- Program management and administrative experience
- Ability to work effectively as part of an intercultural team. Experience working with Americans preferred
- Hardworking, reliable and diligent with good interpersonal skills
- Willing to travel to sites in Timor-Leste with possible overnight stays
- Willing to travel internationally for Continuing Medical Education conferences or to serve at other Peace Corps posts on temporary duty if needed
- Ability to work with minimal supervision
- Current or former Peace Corps experience
Interested applicants for this position must first submit the following or the application will not be considered:
- A resume or C.V. that includes:
- Professional positions held, identifying duties, responsibilities, dates of employment and reason for leaving
- Education and training, identifying universities attended, dates of attendance, degrees and diplomas
- Professional licenses, certificates, registrations
- An accounting for periods of unemployment longer than three months
- A cover letter which addresses all of the requirements and desired qualifications listed above, citing specific examples from the applicant’s experience demonstrating how the qualifications have been met.
Based on submission and initial review of the resume/CV and cover letter, Peace Corps will request the following from applicants meeting the minimum qualifications for the position:
- Peace Corps will send the following additional electronic documents to be submitted:
- Completed PCMO Application form,
- Completed PCMO applicant skills survey,
- Completed Privileging form. The applicant must complete this request for privileges depending on their professional qualifications.
- Three professional medical references, with at least two being from medical colleagues who have directly observed the applicant in a clinical setting. (One must also be from the current employer.)
- If requested by Peace Corps, send scanned copies or photocopies of:
Academic diplomas. Pease note, in addition to a copy of the academic diploma, the applicant must submit an official academic transcript and curriculum.
Professional licenses. If the license does not have an expiration date, written confirmation must be submitted directly from the issuing authority. Please note, if a license is not required, rather, the medical diploma is the license to practice, written confirmation, issued directly from the professional medical board, Ministry of Health or other appropriate regulatory authority establishing that the candidate is properly credentialed for medical practice, is required.
Certificates of all post graduate training, internships, residencies, fellowships
- Any other documentation (e.g., essays, certificates, awards, copies of degrees earned) that addresses the qualification requirements of the position as listed above.
- The candidate should also provide the following in the PCMO application form:
- Date of birth
- Place of birth
- Passport number
- Passport issue date
- Passport expiration date
All documents must be in English. Official translation is not required.
This position has a salary range of US $54,393 – $73,428 depending on salary history (should be recent and sustained), qualifications and experience. Relocation and modest housing provided for non-resident hire.
SUBMIT APPLICATION TO
Attention: Director of Management & Operations Peace Corps Timor-Leste
No. 12 Rua Nu’u Laran Bairro Dos Grilhos Dili
SUBMIT ELECTRONICALLY TO
[email protected] with the subject line of “PCMO”
Review date: applications should be received no later than 15 August 2017 for consideration in the first review. Position remains open until filled. No phone calls or personal visits related to this vacancy will be accepted. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Peace Corps Timor-Leste is only considering candidates residing outside the United States. For opportunities for US residents to work with Peace Corps, please see www.usajobs.gov or www.fbo.gov.
The United States Peace Corps is an Equal Opportunity Employer.